Tuesday, December 14, 2010

The Pascaline!!!

Success! Finally my little trinket is complete; this trinket I believe will revolutionize mathematics. Today I was given a patent by Louis XIV on my calculating device in which I called the Pascaline.  I had spent three painstaking years in perfecting my machine and in that time period I had created around fifty different prototypes. What is this machine I created you might ask? The Pascaline is arithmetic machine that is capable of adding and subtracting. I initially invented it to help my father with collecting taxes, then I started refining it and one thing led to another until it was finally complete. Basically, the Pascaline had eight movable dials that is capable of adding up to eight figured long sums. If the first dial is moved ten notches the second dial would move one notch to show that the column is reading ten. Essentially each dial represents decimal values such as the one, tens, and hundreds and so on. Each dial is labeled with digits 0 through 9. To select the digit you would need to place a stylus in the corresponding spoke and turn the dial. The principle of my design is the sautoir which is the center piece of the machine. With this the wheels are able to move with ease. The Pascaline is being manufactured now as you read this and it will be available for purchase soon. I price has not been set but I will try to make it affordable. I could feel your anticipation with the arrival of this machine I only hope that it would prove to be beneficial.

2 comments:

  1. Pascal,
    I congratulate you on your new invention. It does seem quite useful, perhaps I'll buy one for myself. You have worked on it for a while, and your years of hard work finally seems to have paid off. Your father would have been proud of you, I am sure of that.

    Sincerely,
    Descartes

    ReplyDelete
  2. congratulations pascal! i am sure the three longs years have paid off. in fact, you invention will help my research come along more efficiently. i am grateful for your practical invention that will help not only our scientific community, but the res of the population as well. Again, great job on your accomplishment.
    -margaret cavendish

    ReplyDelete